Alright, here's my book* thread for 2021 – starting early this time, so I hopefully won't abandon it due to ETOOMANYBOOKS like last year's. Be warned that January is traditionally filled with fanfics and re-reads.
All tagged with #rixxReads for your muting convenience.
* books, papers, fanfics, etc etc
1/ The Arithmancer (Arithmancer, #1) by White Squirrel. Decent Harry Potter fanfic whith Hermione as math genius. Rat adjacent but nowhere near the mess that is HPMOR. Imagine having actual characters *and* science, at the same time.
@rixx Very exciting to meet a fellow fan fiction connoiseur in the wild! I will follow your reading list with great interest.
@rixx Ohhh yesss, thanks 😄
If you're looking for some more recommendations:
* Harry Potter and the Prince of Slytherin (https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11191235/1/Harry-Potter-and-the-Prince-of-Slytherin) Ongoing series, WBWL, smart, Slytherin-Harry (though not HPMOR levels of smart). I love it to death, on my 5th+ reread
* Error of Soul (https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8490518/1/Error-of-Soul) unfinished, only 7 chapters but original take on soul bonds
* Patron (https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11080542/1/Patron), enjoyed it a lot
* Browncoat, Green Eyes (http://www.hpfanficarchive.com/stories/viewstory.php?sid=209) HPxFirefly crossover, IDK really not into crossovers but this is well-written
* Just a Random Tuesday (https://www.fanfiction.net/s/3124159/1/Just-a-Random-Tuesday) short, fluffy, who doesn't love McG?
* The Sea King (https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7502511/1/The-Sea-King) short, good, not much else to say
* Victoria Potter (https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12713828/1/Victoria-Potter) ongoing, what if Harry was a girl
Maybe I should also start something like this? 🤔
@bfiedler Ah, interesting! I remember Victoria Potter as being too generic for my taste. I have read Browncoat, and I have literally no memories of it, huh. Same for Prince of Slyherin (though I have read Better Be Slytherin several times, so I'm no stranger to the niche).
I like the beginning of the None Other series, before it became a wordy dragfest https://archiveofourown.org/series/41198
@rixx will definitely check it out, thanks!
I know I started Better Be Slytherin at some time, but I also can't remember any specifics or why I dropped it. Oh well, now I got something to read before bedtime 😄
Also I just noticed Just a Random Tuesday is almost 60k words, that's not short at all 😅 Well it seems you are a fast reader so it shouldn't pose any problems.
@rixx Hope I'm not overstepping with another recommendation:
* Grow Young with Me (https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11111990/1/Grow-Young-with-Me) Epilogue-compliant, Harry/OC, pretty angsty. Both writing and OC are executed really well, even if it's not your cup of tea I'd give it a try. Ongoing, gets sporadic updates
@bfiedler Heh, thanks. Neither "ongoing" nor "epilogue-compliant" are really up my alley, so I'll skip this one
@bfiedler Apropos of The Futile Facade just updating: It's a good series. The first one is Pureblood Pretense: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7613196/1/The-Pureblood-Pretense
@rixx So I went to bed today at 10 and wanted to “see if I would enjoy the first chapter of this” and 12 chapters later it’s safe to say I do.
Thanks a lot! And also damn you 😉
The social network of the future: No ads, no corporate surveillance, ethical design, and decentralization! Own your data with Mastodon!